The Community Preservation Fund
59 Town Hall Square
Falmouth, Mass 02540

Tel: 508-495-7436
Fax: 508-457-2511

Email: cpfund@falmouthmass.us

 

2005 Meeting Minutes

JULY 28, 2005

MEMBERS PRESENT: Peter Boyer, (chairman); Peter Clark; Ken Gartner; Patti Haney; Ralph Herbst; Ed Schmitt; Barbara Schneider; and Diane Thompson. Absent: Jamie Bowers

Chair Peter Boyer called the meeting to order at 7 PM in the office of the Falmouth Service Center, Gifford Street, Falmouth.

The minutes of the June 27, July 14 and the Executive Minutes of July 14 were approved.

There was no public comment.

The committee reviewed at length the Community Preservation Plans for the towns of Grafton, Sudbury and Newton taking from each plan the sections they preferred, while adding their own suggestions. The committee agreed on the cover letter, submission form, guidelines for project submission. and worked through the general criteria and application page. Barbara will be responsible for putting a draft Falmouth plan together for the next meeting. Ralph offered to draft the section: Category Special Criteria - to reflect the goals and wording of the Local Comprehensive Plan.

In order to prepare for the April 2006 Special Town Meeting, the committee selected Friday, November 11 as the deadline for
submissions. They decided to schedule Thursday, December 1st to review proposals for Open Space and Recreation and Thursday, December 15 for Historic and Community Housing. Scheduling times will be selected later.

Peter requested the members to identify and e-mail the policy questions they wish to debate that will become part of the framework of the Falmouth document prior to the August 25th meeting with Dorrie Pizzella and the Community Preservation Coalition.

The committee agreed to meet Thursday, August 11th at the Service Center. to review the first draft of the Falmouth Plan. The August 25 meeting with the Community Preservation Coalition will be held at the Town Hall Selectmen's Office. Peter will invite the public, town boards and committees and Selectmen to this meeting. 

The committee proposed a public hearing date for Thursday, September 22 at Town Hall. Peter proposed using the web site as an additional posting. The committee agreed to post their e-mail addresses to the site as well.

There being no old or new business to discuss, the committee adjourned at 9:04 PM .to meet again on THURSDAY, AUGUST 11, 2005 AT THE FALMOUTH SERVICE CENTER AT 7:00 PM.

Submitted by: Mary J. Little

 

COMMUNITY PRESERVATION COMMITTEE MINUTES
AUGUST 25, 2005

MEMBERS PRESENT: Chair Peter Boyer; Patti Haney; Ralph Herbst; Diane Thompson; Barbara Schneider; Jamie Bowers; Peter Clark. Absent: Ed Schmitt; Ken Gartner.

Chair Peter Boyer opened the meeting at 7:05 PM in the Selectmen's Meeting Room. He announced the Committee's schedule for the audience: September 8th - the finalized application form and Evaluation Criteria for each of the categories. September 22nd will be first public hearing to which the departments and interested parties will be invited to review the documents and offer comments. October to November 10th, submission of proposals will be accepted. December 1 and 15 - interviews. January 12 - review of proposals. January 26 - follow up interviews, if needed. February 9 - Committee will vote on their recommendations for submission to the Special Town Meeting. The Committee will be incorporating the Local Comprehensive Plan as a basis of their work.

Peter introduced Dorrie Pizzella, Executive Director of the Community Preservation Coalition. She explained there is no cookbook to administer the CPA. She advised that Falmouth will receive $1.6 million in October of which 10% can be allocated to each of the three categories - Open Space/Recreation/Affordable Housing/Historic Preservation. The matching funds come from a Community Preservation Trust fund which has a recurring financing source - surcharges on fees paid to record documents at the Registry of Deeds. She expects a full state match through 2009. 100 cities and towns have utilized the CPA. The recommendations proposed by a local Community Preservation Committee are voted at Town Meeting. They may or may not vote to allocate their funds into a Reserve Fund. Town Meeting cannot increase the monies nor can they change the scope of the CPA or offer competing recommendations. Communities may borrow against the local CPA surcharge revenue they expect to receive in subsequent years but not against state matching funds. Any bonds issued under the CPA are general obligation bonds of the city or town.

She strongly recommended development of a Mission Statement, which should be posted on the website.

Up to 5% of the annual revenue funds can be used for administration and operating expenses. The Committee can react to submissions from applicants or they can initiate or manage projects and grant submissions.

Her Power Point presentation featured ways and means for spending community preservation funds:
Acquire, create and preserve open space
Acquire, preserve, rehabilitate and restore historic resources
Acquire, create and preserve land for recreation
Create and support community housing.

Land and buildings bought with preservation funds must be restricted for that purpose for the life of the project. Buildings can be managed by the town; third parties or a non-profit.

She suggested that the Town Accountant (in Falmouth's case) visit the Department of Revenue website for assistance in setting up separate accounts for each category and a reserve fund. The website for Community Preservation is: www.communitypreservation.org.

Following a question and answer period, the meeting adjourned at 8:45 PM to meet again on September 8, 2005 at 7:00 PM at the Falmouth Service Center.

Submitted by: Mary J. Little/Secretary

 

COMMUNITY PRESERVATION COMMITTEE MINUTES
SEPTEMBER 14, 2005

MEMBERS PRESENT: Chair Peter Boyer; Ralph Herbst; Diane Thompson; Peter Clark; Ed Schmitt; Barbara Schneider, jamies Bowers. Absent: Patti Haney; Ken Gartner

The meeting was called to order at 5:05 PM in the Falmouth Service Center, Gifford Street. There was no public present.

The minutes of the August 25th meeting were approved.

Peter advised that the Board of Assessors is setting the new tax rate and they are requesting the Committee to sign and execute the Bureau of Accounts' Schedule A4 (C44B), which lists the sum of $1,767.447 as actualy FY05 State Trust Fund revenues and $1,825,956 as estimated FY05 revenues for the Community Preservation Committee. The distribution is essentially last year's Land Bank monies. It was moved and VOTED. He gave the following scenario:

On October 15, 3005, the CPA State Match 2006 funds of $1.8M will be received.

At November 2005 Town Meeting, CPA funds for administrative expenses can be requested from left over Land Bank funds.

At April 2006 Town Meeting, the CPC proposals will be funded with FY07 monies. However, actual monies for the approved projects will not be available until after July 1, 2006.

At the November 2006 Town Meeting, the Committee can spend $1.7M of the 2006 State Match Funds.

In October 2006, monies will be received for the 2007 State Match, which can be encumbered at the Spring Town Meeting.

In April 2007, the Committee will spend FY08 monies and by November 2007, no more funds will be available. He explained that at the Special Annual Meeting, you spend current year's monies and next year's monies are spent at the Annual Town Meeting.

After some discussion, the Committee VOTED: to request the sum of $25,000 to cover administrative expenses at Fall Town meeting.

The Committee devoted the rest of the meeting to honing the draft Application Form and General Criteria, which was subsequently approved and VOTED. Barbara will incorporate the final changes and e-mail them to Peter, who will be responsible for getting it posted on the town's website. Peter will also promote it via a newspaper article.

The Committee further agreed to add January 5th to their calendars. Meetings to discuss the proposals will now be scheduled for January 5 - 12 and 26, 2006. The January 12th meeting will be held at the School Administration Building.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:15PM The Committee will hold a public hearing on Thursday, September 22, 2005 in the Selectmen's Meeting Room, Falmouth Town Hall at 7:00 PM.

Submitted by: Mary J. Little/Secretary

 

COMMUNITY PRESERVATION COMMITTEE
October 13, 2005

Present: Peter Boyer, Chair; Peter Clark, Vice Chair; Barbara Schneider; Ralph Herbst; Ken Gartner; Ed Schmitt; Jamie Bowers and Diane Thompson

Chair Boyer called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.

The minutes of October 27, 2005 were approved.

Chair Boyer distributed the applications that were received for CPA funding. Chair Boyer asked that committee members read every application. Committee members were assigned specific applications to focus on for questions at the public hearings.

The applications were broken out into categories for funding and assigned hearing dates. 

On December 1,2005 the committee will hear the Open Space, Recreation and Affordable Housing applicants. On December 15, 2005, the Committee will hear from Historic Preservation applicants. It was noted that many of the applications deal with more than one category but that there seemed to be a primary focus and that was what was used. 

Chair Boyer said that he would give time slots to the various applicants. The Committee agreed that it did not want formal presentations from the applicants. Committee members will have read all of the documentation, and it should be complete. Applicants will have approximately one to two minutes to give a brief introduction and the remaining time will be used for questions from the committee. 

A draft rating sheet was reviewed by the Committee. At this point in time the rating sheet will just be used as an aid to committee members in their decision-making process. 

The committee agreed that there wouldn’t be any interviews prior to the public hearings. All questions would be asked at the public hearings. If further information is required there is a meeting available on January 12th to disseminate additional information or have additional questions answered. 

Ed Schmitt agreed to do a spread sheet showing applications received and the amount of the funding request. That spread sheet is attached and considered a part of the minutes.

Other Business

The committee discussed a letter that was received from Robert Whritenour asking for a recommendation from the CPC on Article 36, proposed to appropriate $104,071.88 from the fund formerly known as the Land Bank Fund. The article is required to fulfill an obligation already voted by Town Meeting under the Land Bank Act. Ralph Herbst made a motion to authorize the appropriation, Peter Clark seconded the motion, and all voted in favor.

The committee also discussed a letter that was received from Mr. Whritenour regarding taking action in principle on the purchase of property located on Main Street known a the Ruschky property. The committee discussed this request at length and voted to send a response to Mr. Whritenour. Chair Boyer abstained from the discussion so the letter would be sent by the Vice Chair, Peter Clark. The Committee voted to inform Mr. Whritenour that it did not think it was appropriate to agree, even in principle, to fund something in advance of future applications. 

The meeting adjourned at 9:10 p.m.

 

COMMUNITY PRESERVATION COMMITTEE MINUTES
OCTOBER 27, 2005

MEMBERS PRESENT: Chair Peter Boyer; Patti Haney; Diane Thompson; Ken Gartner; Jamie Bowers; Barbara Schneider; Ed Schmitt.

ABSENT: Peter Clark and Ralph Herbst

;Chair Peter Boyer called the meeting to order at 7:05 PM in the Meeting Room of the Falmouth Service Center, Gifford St.

One public person attended the meeting.

1. Approval of October 13, 2005 Minutes:

Diane Thompson, who filled in for Mary Little, advised the minutes were not available for approval.

2. Discussion of Project Application Review Procedures:

Peter announced that when the proposals are received on November 10th, they will be distributed to members for reading. Teams, comprising of two members each, will be established and assigned their projects. Teams will be allowed the opportunity to develop prep notes or question development in advance of the meetings.

On January 12th, committee will make ; preliminary recommendations. It will also be a public meeting. Further discussions with call backs will be heard as well. Voting on the projects will take place at the end of the evening.

By January 15th, the committee should be shaping their decisions for the warrant. There will be a separate article for each
proposal.


3. Final Review of Community Preservation Plan (as amended by PC through 10/13)

The Committee spent some time reviewing their Community Preservation Plan and subsequently to making minor corrections, Patti Haney offered a motion, seconded by Ed Schmitt, TO approve the document entitled "Town of Falmouth Community Preservation Plan dated October 27, 2005.

4. Discussion of Future Deadlines and Work Plans, 2006

Peter advised the Committee that he was not ready to discuss deadlines and work plans as yet. MATTER HELD.

5. Old Business:

There was no old busines


6. New Business:

The Committee discussed developing a brochure for dispersal to Town Meeting members in November. Barbara stated that after seeing the fancy brochure produced by Nantucket, she decided to try her hand at producing one for Falmouth. It would list the mission of the CPA and briefly describe the funding and categories as well as list the committee members. The Committee liked her preliminary draft and urged her to produce a final version.

Ralph Herbst asked for the purposes of monitoring, the Committee might want to use Americorp volunteers. No action was taken on this suggestion.


There being no further business to discuss, the meeting adjourned at 8:25 PM to meet again on November 10, 2005.

Submitted by: Mary J. Little/Secretary
 

 

COMMUNITY PRESERVATION COMMITTEE
November 10, 2005

Present: Peter Boyer, Chair; Peter Clark, Vice Chair; Barbara Schneider; Ralph Herbst; Ken Gartner; Ed Schmitt; Jamie Bowers and Diane Thompson

Chair Boyer called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.

The minutes of October 27, 2005 were approved.

Chair Boyer distributed the applications that were received for CPA funding. Chair Boyer asked that committee members read every application. Committee members were assigned specific applications to focus on for questions at the public hearings.

The applications were broken out into categories for funding and assigned hearing dates. 

On December 1,2005 the committee will hear the Open Space, Recreation and Affordable Housing applicants. On December 15, 2005, the Committee will hear from Historic Preservation applicants. It was noted that many of the applications deal with more than one category but that there seemed to be a primary focus and that was what was used. 

Chair Boyer said that he would give time slots to the various applicants. The Committee agreed that it did not want formal presentations from the applicants. Committee members will have read all of the documentation, and it should be complete. Applicants will have approximately one to two minutes to give a brief introduction and the remaining time will be used for questions from the committee. 

A draft rating sheet was reviewed by the Committee. At this point in time the rating sheet will just be used as an aid to committee members in their decision-making process. 

The committee agreed that there wouldn’t be any interviews prior to the public hearings. All questions would be asked at the public hearings. If further information is required there is a meeting available on January 12th to disseminate additional information or have additional questions answered. 

Ed Schmitt agreed to do a spread sheet showing applications received and the amount of the funding request. That spread sheet is attached and considered a part of the minutes.

Other Business

The committee discussed a letter that was received from Robert Whritenour asking for a recommendation from the CPC on Article 36, proposed to appropriate $104,071.88 from the fund formerly known as the Land Bank Fund. The article is required to fulfill an obligation already voted by Town Meeting under the Land Bank Act. Ralph Herbst made a motion to authorize the appropriation, Peter Clark seconded the motion, and all voted in favor.

The committee also discussed a letter that was received from Mr. Whritenour regarding taking action in principle on the purchase of property located on Main Street known a the Ruschky property. The committee discussed this request at length and voted to send a response to Mr. Whritenour. Chair Boyer abstained from the discussion so the letter would be sent by the Vice Chair, Peter Clark. The Committee voted to inform Mr. Whritenour that it did not think it was appropriate to agree, even in principle, to fund something in advance of future applications. 

The meeting adjourned at 9:10 p.m.

 

COMMUNITY PRESERVATION COMMITTEE MINUTES
DECEMBER 1, 2005

Members Present:: Chair Peter Boyer; Peter Clark; Diane Thompson; Patti Haney; Barbara Schneider; Ken Gartner; Jamie Bowers; Ed Schmitt

Chair Peter Boyer called the meeting to order at 7:00PM in the School Administration Office to discuss applications for the Spring Town Meeting. Interviews will be held this evening and December 15th . The Committee will strive to make their decisions at the January 5th meeting, but will reserve January 12th for call backs, which will be a public meeting. The chair announced there will be no public comment on applications.

Habitat for Humanity: (Cape Cod) Don Dickinson, spokeman, advised they are seeking $60,000 to build infrastructure for 4 homes to include 13 bedrooms on Sam Turner Road, Falmouth. They have assembled a parcel of land comprising 130,365 SF which included land swaps. Condo fees will average $20 a month. The houses will sell for $95-105, 000 and and it will include insurance, mortgage. Falmouth residents will be eligible for two of the 4 houses .. They institute a deed rider which sets the sales price pegging it to median income. Habitat has the right to buy it back at $99,000 as does the town or the housing authority. The deed rider is in perpetuity and will apply to subsequent deeds. The Dept. of Housing & Community Development oversees Affordable Housing and Habitat works closely with them. Habitat has to file for a Comprehensive Permit first and subsequently apply to HOME and the Federal Home Loan Bank for grants The budget does not include fees. Itt is expected that the four houses will be completed by December 2007. $500 in sweat equity is a requirement for elibibility.. When asked if there will be a septic system for each unit, Mr. Dickinson replied yes. When asked if and when Habitat will have to deal with sewering the units, would there be an escrow account. Mr. Dickinson replied they have not experienced it and frankly have not thought about it. When asked by Mr. Schmitt if there will be any payments to be made by the town, Mr. Dicksinson replied no.

Affordable Housing Task Force Committee Bonnie O’Neil of the Affordable Housing Task Force Committee spoke to the first proposal – Webster Woods, which is a 16 acre town-owned parcel on Woods Hole Road - also the site for the fire station. They are seeking $40,000 for site work and environmental assessment, which the CPA can fund. They have voted to maintain a significant portion of the parcel for open space, but they require a complete analysis of the property in order to proceed. There currently is 0% affordable housing in Woods Hole. When asked about the proposed number of units, Bonnie replied that is the reason for the feasibility study - determine what might be appropriate to reach their and the town’s goals. The town engineer determined the $40,000 figure. The town administrator will send out the RFP. When asked who would be in charge of building, Bonnie replied that issue would be answered “down the road‿.
When asked what information they had to date, she replied none.

Her second proposal dealt with the Ward Street, Chester Street and Cloverfield Way. The Task Force is seeking $250,000.They have been working on the project since 2003 when town meeting voted to proceed with construction of three homes. Ward and Chester Streets will have an open space element. They have applied for and received limited grant monies. Site approval was received and notice of the RFP will be advertised December 7th and they hope to convey the land at the Spring Town Meeting under Chapter 40B. When asked by Mr. Clark who will be clerking the project, Bonnie replied the property will be conveyed to the developer , who will apply under Chapter 40B. There will be a monitoring agreement. There would be a deed rider on the Cloverfield Way parcel, which is separate. Members were concerned with the $12,000 item to fund the lottery.. Bonnie replied that Matt Costa did the plan and arrived at that figure. When asked by Ms. Haney if they have inquired into funding sources, Bonnie replied the requested CPA funds would get them started. Diane Thompson advised that 100% of CPA funds given to Provincetown went to affordable housing. Mr. Bowers spoke to the $110 per sq.foot construction cost. He noted the Habitat for Humanity is building at the same level of construction and their total cost is $648,000 or $52 a sf . He urged her to look further at the number. . Mr. Clark asked Bonnie to define the market costs and to appear at the January 12 meeting.

Historic Highfield: Barbara Milligan and Mary Pat Flynn presented their request for $300,000 for heating, ventilating and air conditioning. The bids came in at $348,000. The bids included 26 separate zones in the house, and construction costs rose 30%. . Mr. Bowers inquired into their preservation plan. She replied Highfield Hall is an on-going historic preservation and the Superintendent of Construction has a background in historic buildings. Ms. Milligan reported they have a built-in line item of $700K for the Mechanical System and a budget of $4million to complete Phase II. She added that, because it is a town-owned building, most grant foundations ask them to identify what will be the town’s commitment to the project. A monetary grant from the CPA will send a huge message that we are committed to completing the building. Highfield Hall will not be requesting funds at Town Meeting. The $3.5million to complete Phase I was raised over 10 years. Phase II will cost $4million of which $2.4 million has been raised.
Ms. Thompson requested copies of the two bids.
Chamber of Commerce Building: Christine Ross and Carl Cavossa representing the Chamber of Commerce was asked by Ms. Thompson if the requested $150k was for work already completed or intended work. Ms. Ross replied there were serious structural issues. What’s left to be done are the historic-style shutters, and the cupula. Mr. Boyer advised the crux of this application revolves around whether or not such reimbursement is an eligible expense for CPA funds. Mr. Boyer requested they provide a letter outlining the cost of the work to be completed.

Save Waquoit Farm: Rep. Matt Patrick and Brendan Annette (WBNERR) are seeking $500K for each of the next 4 years to save Waquoit Farm, the former Mucka Davis property on Carriage Shop Road. Ms Schneider asked who would own the property. Rep. Patrick replied it would be owned and managed by the WBNERR. Organizations will buy rights to the property or an easement in exchange for contributing to the purchase. It will also be part of the Mashpee Wildlife Refuge. When asked where the remaining $2.5million might come from if they receive CPA’s commitment. Rep. Patrick replied there were federal and state foundations tied into WBNERR, and the Wildlife Refuge . They are also talking with State Senator Murray about a bond bill. . A commitment to protect the land is critical in order to seek federal funding. Rep. Patrick offered that he was active in saving the Quashnet River over a 3-year period through a state-funded $10million. Commitment. Congressman William Delahunt earmarked monies for theWildlife Refuge over 10 years and has offered to lend his efforts to this preservation project. Ms. Schneider expressed her concern over the lack of a plan for the house . Mr. Boyer suggested they would need a Purchase and Sales Agreement with an appraisal for Town Meeting. They were asked to come back on January 12 th with more definitive plans.

Town Band: Linda Whitehead, Director of the Falmouth Town Band , is asking for $350K. Mr. Schmitt asked about other possible funding sources . Ms. Whitehead replied there are none for town bandshells. When asked why there was an additional $20K in design fees, Sallie Giffen of the Town Building Committee explained that new codes have been established causing new construction documents and because the connections to the steel structure were complicated requiring skilled tradesmen. The present structure is 1700 SF and the proposed new bandshell will be 2700 SF. When asked why a roof was required in the new design, she answered to create a backdrop for the acoustics and to protect the instruments, adding that they are the largest town band in New England. 

Falmouth Recreation Department: Helen Kennedy , Director of the Falmouth Recreation Department, stated they are seeking $500K in CPA funds to develop playing fields in Falmouth. The total cost of the project will be $600K. She advised the project has been part of their Comprehensive Plan since l992 but there was no available land to construct on. She advised that the fields built in l995 at Trotting Park are fine but there is still a need for more especially in the Hatchville area. Lacrosse is capped. The Upper Cape Senior Babe Ruth League which includes 16-19 year olds, is anxious to expand. . The major league Babe Ruth has money to lend, but start up money is needed. Parents and groups have offered to fund raise for the scoreboards, bleachers etc. When asked by Ms. Thompson if there was a town commitment for maintenance, Ms. Kennedy replied the DPW (Brian Dale/Tree Warden) is at the breaking point for taking on other projects even though the Town Administrator is a proponent for the project. Ms. Kennedy also advised that the design for the fields and parking would have to be done by the town and and it could be done in two phases – the first being clearing and grubbing. The committee, as a whole, felt it would be a lost investment if the Town can’t maintain the fields. The matter was held for the January 12th meeting pending receipt of a maintenance plan.

There being no old or new business, the meeting adjourned at 9:20 PM to meet again on Thursday, December 15, 2005 in the School Administration Building.

Submitted by: Mary J. Little, Secretary

 

Community Preservation Committee Minutes
December 15, 2005

Members Present: Chair Peter Boyer; Vice-Chair Peter Clark; Clerk Diane Thompson; Barbara Schneider; Jamie Bowers; Patti Haney; Ralph Herbst; Ed Schmitt; Ken Gartner

Chair Peter Boyer called the meeting to order at 7:00 PM in the School Administration Office to discuss the second and final round of applications for CPA monies to be approved for the Spring Town Meeting.

Cape Cod Conservatory: Mr. Robert White and Mrs. Avery Funkhouser , representing the Conservatory, are seeking $10,000 to replace two of the four doors for the theatre. The CCC owns the Carriage House and Highfield Theatre, which were erected in l876. Dr. Schneider asked if they brought pictures. They replied they had not. She asked how they chose this one project and what did they anticipate down the road. Mr. White replied the theatre is top priority because it services the Falmouth Theatre Guild and the College Light Opera Company under a lease arrangement. There are five doors needing replacement, but they decided to seek monies to repair two doors and come back to the CPA for a larger request next year to fix problems back stage with the staging area and collapsing awning. Mr. White explained the barn has been retrofitted with new seating and air conditioning. Mr. Bowers questioned whether they should engage an architect for historic preservation and offered he would like to see a larger cash request to insure preservation of the property. Mr. Boyer explained that historic preservation monies are available and was there a way to include preservation in their proposal. Mr. White asked for time to provide this information. The matter was held until January 12th, but the information could be sent in prior to that date.

United Methodist Church: Robertson Dinsmore, Trustee of the John Wesley United Methodist Church and Dr. Donna Walcovy, Professional Cemetery Conservator, presented their proposal for $27,653. The funds will be used to maintain the East Falmouth Burying Ground(located next door and to the rear of the East Falmouth Fire Station) which requires much needed maintenance and restoration. They have $5000 in hand. Ed Schmitt asked what they planned to do inaddition to the work done by the Town’s Park and Recreation department. Dr. Walcovy answered that a grave site cannot be repaired or cleaned without a professional conservator. She will be doing the cleaning and overseeing the volunteer work on the Gazebo and Interpretive Walk. She has provided over 100 hours at no charge . She considers the work full time in the summer and stated she will have the assistance of Parks and Recreation for specific work. Mr. Bowers encouraged her to seek an architect to participate in the Gazebo and Walk preservation and asked her to provide a letter from the Mass. Historic Commission attesting to her credentials as a Conservator. Ms. Thompson asked how she arrived at the budget. Dr. Walcovy replied she has called each of the companies or firms to obtain the available price. Dr. Walcovy stated she will be calling the veterans’ organizations; the Boy Scouts and church members to help with the project. Mr Boyer asked if she could define the project into phases – gravestone restoration being the most important and the landscaping at a later phase..
Falmouth Historical Commission: Sheryl Kozens-Long representing the FHC requested grant monies to hire a professional. To research the town’s inventory of historic sites. The present inventory includes only sites dating through 1850.. She explained the Commission doesn’t have the expertise or time to research the 250-300 buildings that should be on the Cultural Resources List and would activate the Demolition Delay Bylaw. Replying to a question by Mr. Schmitt as to whether or not everything built prior to 1850 was historic, she answered no. She explained that if a home is not on the Cultural Resource List, it doesn’t trigger the bylaw. The bylaw allows the town up to 90 days to salvage a structure from demolion that has been designated as historic. When asked if the owner is involved in the dialog, she answered they are notified and have the opportunity to speak to the Commission. When asked what their timetable might be she replied July ’06-08. When asked if there would be any complications if the awards were in two or three phases, she answered no. She advised that interested persons may view the Cultural Resources List at Town Hall. The question was asked if the Commission identifies the homes with a plaque. She replied most are private properties and it would be up to the property owner. 

Waquoit Congregational Church: Reverend Ken Landon and Harold Casperson represented the church in their request for $7,900 to preserve their 157 year-old steeple, which they consider a land mark. When questioned about the vinyl siding, Mr. Casperson replied they did not do it, however, the interior of the church is historically in tact. Mr. Bowers encouraged them to take this project more seriously as preservation and suggested they might ask for funds to remove the exterior vinyl and replace them with clapboards. Additionally he suggested that their request for monies in Item 6 for painting using one coat, should have two coats. The goal should be to preserve and restore and not merely to maintain. Mr. Boyer suggested the possible need for a historical preservation restriction and the church might wish to bring back a more comprehensive proposal in July for the Fall Town Meeting. He asked Rev. Landon and Mr. Casperson to give the Committee an idea before January 5th of what they might wish to do.

East Falmouth Village Association: Cynthia Botelho and Adele Rohe (President) representing the Association presented their request for $1,400 to provide two benches (similar to the bench at the Main Street Fire Station) in the proposed community garden on land beside and behind the East Falmouth Fire Station. The garden would honor the heritage of the strawberry growers who settled there. It was suggested that this project leaned more toward passive recreation as well as preserving a memory as opposed to capturing the significance of historic preservation.

Falmouth Historical Society: President Grant Willis and Carolyn Partan represented the Society in their request for $31, 258 to seek design s for a a climate control system in their two major artifacts – the Julia Wood House and Conant House. They provide the storage facilities of their collections. Ms. Haney asked what was it going to take to complete the work. Caroline replied Conant House might require $100,000. It has a hot air system and there are ducts, but Wood House will be more expensive They need the analysis to raise funds. Ms. Haney asked about the education component and how did it tie into the climate control system. Carolyn explained they want to incorporate an education piece and will be using the design work to prepare a power point presentation and brochure for a fund-raising effort. Mr. Herbst asked if they planned on coming back to the Committee for more monies and she replied in the affirmative.

Town Administrator: Town Administrator Robert Whritenour,Jr.; Assistant Town Administrator Heather Harper and Town Planner Brian Currie represented the town in their request for $48,500 to create a position within the town for a community development planner. Heather stated it embodies the CPA and is consistent with long-range planning for more community development activities. Brian Currie advised the Planning Office doesn’t have that level of staff and this position would be the catalyst to accomplish that. He stated that it is also the Charter Committee’s goal to address community development. Diane Thompson, team leader stated that, except for Nantucket, none of the CPC have hired staff except for minutes taking. Heather replied that two communities, Newton and Peabody, have hired full or part-time planners to assist with CPA projects. The criteria for doing so requires them to document their time spent on the CPA and how that amount was arrived at. She cited that the funds could be allocated from the Administration funds but if the planner is working on a specific CPA project, the funds could be also be allocated from the CPA category funds. Jamie Bowers asked her for the sample job description, which was not in his packet. Ms. Haney questioned how long they would expect CPA funds to cover this position. Mr. Whritenour answered that the position is in the 5-year staff plan, but this position would be an opportunity to move the plan forward. He added that because of Proposition 2 and ½, there is no sustainable source of revenue. He went on to say that when historic preservation has to compete with police , fire and affordable housing needs, the town can’t do it. He hoped to use this help to get their goals off to a good start and subsequently seek town funding Mr. Bowers said he wasn’t sure about CPA’s ability to provide staff for other town committees. 

Falmouth Housing Authority: . Robert Murray, Executive Director of the Falmouth Housing Authority is seeking $250,000 each to create two programs – House Retention Program and Home Buyer’s Assistance Program. 

Mr. Murray cited 69 unprotected affordable housing units in private ownership. Back in the 70-80 and 90’s they had deed restrictions that were discounted off the market value – They were based on a percentage between the appraised value and what it sold for originally as an affordable unit. It amounted to 40%. Mr. Boyer asked how it would work if he received the $250,00. Mr. Murray replied the owner is supposed to notify the Board of Selectmen that the home is available. The seller gets it at the 80% with an attached permanent deed restriction. When asked what happens to the money, Mr. Murray replied the town would invest it. It would be a draw down request. When asked about administration and maintenance costs, he answered there would be none. There are costs to help a family but you can designate Housing Assistance Corporation or the local housing authority to oversee it. He added that the proposed community development position could do the work.

The Home Buyer’s Assistance Program would be a program designed for prospective buyers with an income stream of $80 – 100K. He called it a recruitment tool. He cited a scenario where a 3-bedroom house worth $375K would have to be purchased for $280K with a deed restriction to help that particular bracket of home buyer.. A pre-qualified list of possible home buyers would be set up . Mr. Schmitt questioned whether or not they should be supplementing a rental payment rather than invest in full ownership. Mr. Murray replied that up to this point, it has been mostly rental, but he has had requests from people in the higher bracket for help to purchase a home and it prompted him to institute this program.

2. The minutes of October 13 were approved with one abstention; the minutes of November 10 were approved and the minutes of December 1 were approved with corrections and one abstention.

3. There was no old business.

4. Under New Business, Ralph Herbst distributed a map he prepared of possible site visits pertaining to the proposed projects. He requested members to e-mail him as to whether or not Saturday AM or Sunday PM were appropriate.

Dr. Clark reminded members that it is a violation of the Open Meeting Law to e-mail fellow members either to advocate or disagree on any issue before them.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 9:30 PM to meet again on Thursday, January 5, 2006 at 7:00 PM at the School Administration Building..

Submitted by: Mary J. Little, Secretary