St. Barnabas Episcopal Church Doors Restoration
Location: 91 Main Street, Falmouth MA 02540
Applicant: St. Barnabas Episcopal Church
Year/Article: November 2011, A37
In 2011 St. Barnabas Episcopal Church requested and received from the CPFund $12,500 for the replacement of five deteriorated doors that were original to the church when built in 1889. E. Pierson Beebe and his brothers and sisters founded the parish in memory of their parents in 1888. The English village-style construction, designed by Henry Vaughn, was completed in June 1890. The church’s name derives from it having been consecrated on the feast day of St. Barnabas, but of interest is that the first Beebe ancestor to come to the colonies and reside on Cape Cod was Named Barnabas.
The doors were replaced using the same wood as originally used with the restored hinges and hardware. A landmark of downtown Falmouth across from the Village Green, the church lies within the Falmouth Village Historic District. The church is open to the public for services, concerts, meetings and special events. It shares its campus with the local soup kitchen, Around the Table, and with Compline, Alcoholics Anonymous groups, Overnights of Hospitality, and Boy Scouts. Since the 1950s it has hosted an annual summer Strawberry Festival for the Town.