West Falmouth United Methodist Church Historic Doors Restoration
Location: 636 West Falmouth Highway, West Falmouth MA 02574
Applicant: West Falmouth United Methodist Church
Year/Article: April 2015, A25
In 2015 the historic double entrance church doors of the West Falmouth United Methodist Church had deteriorated so badly that they did not close tightly, allowing heat and cool air to escape. The church officials requested and were appropriated $24,400 from the CPFund. The Church contributed 10 percent of the total construction cost of $27,000 and the new doors were dedicated in the fall of 2015.
Methodists in West Falmouth had originally met in private homes in the 19th century when the circuit-riding preacher visited the Village. They had local builder Alvin Crowell build a church in 1857 on land donated by Silas Eldred. Pews were sold for as much as $100, giving pew holders the right to their pews every Sunday. In 1900 they built a new church across the street from the original one. It has provided an important community resource for West Falmouth. It lies within the West Falmouth Historic District and is listed by the Falmouth Historical Commission on the Town’s cultural resources inventory. In 2006 the church applied to the CPFund and was appropriated $11,234 to re-shingle the small turret over the minister’s study. This work was one component of a restoration project that had included restoration of the sanctuary, renovation of the Fellowship Hall in the basement, access improvements, and restoration of three triple-pained stained glass windows.